My friend Eliza was planning an Boundary waters trip and I was able to go on it. I was really excited cuz everyone in my family has been but me and I have heard so many wonderful stories about it. There were five of us that went, three friends from the ward Reva Olson, Jessica Croshaw, Eliza Wilson and Debbie(who was Eliza mission companion flew in from AZ). We all had a really good time together.We left at 4:00 in the morning and drove up to Ely. When we got to the canoe renting place it was raining. I decided to get the rain jacket and pants. I am so glad it kept me warm.
This is one of my favorite picture of us all ready to start our adventure paddlin in the rain. When we set off I declared, "This is perfect rain." It was a pretty steady rain but never to hard. At the time it didn't seem ideal to be paddlin in the rain but now as I think about it it wasn't to bad because it didn't rain the rest of the time which if it had it my have kept us from our fun day trips. It rained all night.
Here is our gear packed up in the canoe. I portaged the canoe on both the portages on the way out. The canoe was heavy and a little hard at the end. I am glad to say I did it.
Here is the camp site that we found. It came with a perfect rock to put our camp stove on. Wow we ate so good. We had tacos, pizza and soup for dinner. My two favorite things were muffins cooked in orange peel and no bake peanut butter dessert. It got pretty cold at night we could see our breath. The temperature before we left said high 30's for low and high 50's to 60's for high. I wore three shirts must of the time. I kept the warmest at night thanks to Landon for letting me use his 5 degree sleeping bag.
When I was getting ready for boundary waters I was a little nervous about the canoeing but Jason and I went on a date to practice. Since coming home from BWCA it is something I really enjoy. I do need to get the stearing thing down a little better though.We went on some beautiful day trips canoeing to other lakes. Wow it is so beautiful and peaceful up thier. On one day we went up an inlet and hiked a little and the other girls canoed down some radips. The next day we went on such a pretty hike and had lunch on a rock overlooking a lake( some of the girls cliff jumped). Ok so I am not very daring so far so going down the radip or cliff jumping but I was a good cheerleader.
I had an wonderful time at BWCA. I loved listening and watching the Loons. I loved "roughing it", using a map and my strengthn to get me around. I was a great experience and great people to go with. I can't wait to go again. I am grateful for Jason for watching the kids and enjoying them. They had a fun time he is a great dad. It was fun to come home to my sweet family. After coming home I realize that this is my first time being away from everyone. I was surprised that out of the kids Ethan gave me the most hugs and attention when I came home. Ethan and Eli can't wait to go. They have been playing make belive BWCA all week.
You are awesome! I am so impressed you did that. I wouldn't dare do something like that, especially if it was raining when we got there. I'm glad you had a fun, safe times.
ReplyDeleteSarah,
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome. I am so glad that you had a good time, and I can't wait to go to BWCAW as a family.
Sarah I am so glad you had fun and that the cold didn't get you guys down. What a great experience.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you had a great time. I want to go back...like today! :) Maybe we can arrange something similar for next year. Thanks for roughing it with me all weekend!
ReplyDelete