Monday, June 22, 2009

I like fish!

"Is there anything you can't do?" So says my mother-in-law. Well, its a good question, there is quite a bit I cannot do, but here is my latest project that I think turned out quite nicely and it all has to do with fish.

So, this really started quite a bit ago - February to be exact. Boyd and Stephanie left for Australia and one of Boyd's fish had just had babies. So, we fish sat the babies. This was a very exciting time for me. I have had fish in the past (my dad reminded me that we had a 10 gallon tank growing up), but I don't ever recall being that interested in it. Yet, this February fish sitting experience has started a whole new "obsession" (at least that is what Sarah calls it, I call it a hobby and simply state that I am an aquarium enthusiast).

Once the sitting was over I immediately started looking around for free or next to free tanks. Sarah was a little hesitant about having one in the house, so I looked for a tank for the office. I found a 5 gallon tank on craigslist and set it up. The next day I added fish. About 20 dead fish later, I have learned that you don't add fish immediately to a tank, in addition to so many other things - like overfeading. Well, I found a 1.5 gallon tank for free on craigslist and brought it home. Once the boys saw it and I told them that I will give them each money to buy a goldfish, the tank was sure to be set up in the house.


Although a small tank is nice to have in the house, what I really wanted was a large (at least 55 gallon) tank. Again, this was questioned because "how much is this going to cost?" and "where are we going to put something that big?" I asked over and over and kept getting the same answer. I even went so far as to say "chose one, fish tank or new kid" but that didn't seem to work either.

Then one fine day we are garage selling and stumbled upon a 20 gallon for $15 bucks. This was a steal and I begged. "Its a good compromise," and I was able to buy it. We placed it downstairs but once the tank was cleaned, set up and had some fish in it, suddenly Sarah wanted it upstairs. So, here is where the idea of a fish tank stand comes in.


I found a plan online. This stand is made completely of 2x4's that I already had in my garage. I had only to buy the 1/4 oak to cover the 2x4's and the door. Once finished, I moved the tank upstairs and have added a few more fish. (Oh, the gold fish in that teany tank died and I got rid of the tank on craigslist).

I must admit, though. This is starting to become an obession. My tank at work is not big enough for me now and I've just started getting a 10 gallon ready for work. I think, eat and even dream fish all the time. Its just such a fun hobby and not even that expesive at all. Secretly (meaning that Sarah does not know this but soon will when she reads this), I want a huge tank - probably something over 70 gallons. I frequently dream of getting a house, ripping out a wall and building a tank right into the house or maybe even a few tanks or maybe even a whole room of tanks...Well, enough about the obsession... Have a great day!
P.S. Sarah is a really, really great wife and is asking all the right questions about adding something extra to our lives. I am sure glad that I have her to bring me down to earth sometimes.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry Sarah, I didn't know I was creating a monster! I do have to admit that aquariums are fun. I told Jason last night when he was taking some of my fish "you know that you will get a bigger tank soon". He said "I know, but don't tell Sarah". I think the cat is out of the bag, or is that the fish is out of the tank? Whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK so your obsessed with fish and your mother-in-law fed you fish for dinner on father's Day. Do all of your hobbies become addictions? or just this one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I never would have guessed that you had such an obession with something like that. Good luck with that, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete