Saturday, March 12, 2011

Science Fair

There comes a point in every little boy's life when he first enters a project into the science fair. For Ethan, that was this year.  I did quite a bit of online searching to come up with a list of original ideas that I could present to Ethan.  We ended up with quite the list.  I thought there were a lot of great ideas, but more than anything he wanted to do something with magnets.  So, we decided to make an electromagnet and change some variables to determine how to make the strongest electromagnet.  It was a lot of fun.  I built a stand for him to test the variables and then it was all up to him.



We decided to try different sizes of bolts, different number of wraps around the bolt and different size batteries.  Ethan did a great job testing and thinking about all the things you need to think about in order to have a good science project.



















The best was when we hooked up a 12v battery to the small bolt with 200 wraps.  This resulted in over 2 boxes of paperclips (200+) being attracted to the magnet.  That was fun!

We set up in the gym of his elementary.  There were quite a number of people there with very simple projects to some pretty complex.  Ethan must have had a good one because it was very popular all night.  Overall, a great experiment and a great time together (wonderful dad/son bonding time).











Here is a great video to watch:

3 comments:

  1. Ethan, what a neat project you choose. I can tell you and your dad had a lot of fun working it out. Your display is the best. I learned some things from it. Grandma says She's really proud of you. Love Grandpa H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't believe I found you Ande. Great blog, cute kids :). I'm living in Utah with my wife and 6yr old son. Good to see you are doing so well.

    Boredog,

    tombore@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ethan,

    Nice job on the science project. I am a little slow and have just watched the video. I really liked it and thought you did a great job.

    Uncle Hans

    ReplyDelete