So, yes, we live in Minnesota and it is the great state of hockey, but we never thought that our boys would be that interested. It's violent, it is way expensive and it takes a ton of coordination, which I do not have and so it would be impossible to pass on to my kids. Well, I think that I am wrong. Ethan has been very interested in hockey ever since I used to site supervise the high school games for Shakopee. He has loved to watch it, gets excited everytime he sees anything that has to do with hockey and he spends all of his free time outside with a puck and a stick that he had to save up for 2 months in order to buy. So, with all this interest, we did what good parents should do and signed him up for ice skating lessons. Previous to these lessons we happened to be at an open house at the YMCA, where a small gym hosts mini informal gym hockey games. Ethan stopped by and started to play with a bunch of 8 and 9 year olds. I thought he'd probably just get in the way. Again, I was wrong. After only a few minutes of playing, the other kids told him "wow, your good - how old are you?" I watched closely and realized that this boy may actually have some talent in hockey.
Not long after this event, the ice skating lessons started. After the first session, which lasts only 40 minutes and during which he probably fell 50 times, he did not want to leave and was bumbed out that he could not stay for the next lessons. This is a comment that he makes every time now. Even if we happen to schedule it so that we are at some sort of rink 2, 3 or sometimes even 4 times a week, it is still not enough and he is asking for more ice time.
Our lessons are just about over, so we thought that we would take some pictures. While this session is starting to end, we do not dare curb this drive to play hockey. Therefore, we'll be signing him up for the next session and probably every session after that. It seems like we are a little behind the game, as he is the oldest in his class and others start at age three or four. Yet, I don't think that will matter with how much drive he currently has to become a good hockey player.
Although he still falls a lot, he is actually getting to be quite a great skater. I am very impressed at how good he has gotten after a few short lessons.
Here he is skating with a bean bag on his head. The object - help keep it there.
Well, good luck Ethan - we'll see you in the big leagues.
That's so cool he loves it so much. Way to go supporting his interests too. I just talked to landon today and he said he was going to take ethan skating. So nice that he does that.
ReplyDelete